What is Urology?
Urology is a part of medical science which involves the study of both male and female urinary tract including kidney, urethra, bladder, and ureters. It also includes male organs related to the reproductive area such as penis, scrotum, testes, etc. Urology is an important field as health problems in these areas are of growing and significant concern. It focuses on the urinary system. Urology is a scope that is upcoming and has many subsystems to it which are:
- Male infertility
- Urological cancer
- Female Urology
- Pediatric Urology
- Kidney transplant
- Urinary tract stones, among many other issues.
Who must you consult with Urology related problems?
If you have any issues in the urinary tract and other parts of the urinary system, the right person to consult would be a urologist. They diagnose and identify problems related to both gender’s tracts as well as the male reproductive parts. They also conduct surgeries, if need be. They work in hospitals, clinics, urology centers, etc. It is important to do a thorough research and choose among the best urologist in India for any kind of chronic or severe problem.
Urologists can treat any part of the urinary system including kidneys, bladders, adrenal glands located on the kidneys-which releases hormones, ureters, etc.
The different conditions treated by Urologists:
Various treatments are offered by Urologists to different problems ranging from:
- In children:
- Blockage in the urinary tract
- Bed-wetting issues
- Undescended testicles
- In women:
- Prolapse of the bladder into the vagina
- Stones in the kidney
- Urinary tract infections
- Interstitial cystitis
- In men:
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Cancer-related problems in penis, bladder, testis or prostate glands
- Stones in the kidney
- Varicoceles which means vein enlargement in the scrotum.
- The conditions are identified using Ct scans, ultrasounds, MRI scans to check inside the tracts.
- They also take help of a cystogram which is the process of X-raying the bladder in order to receive images of it.
- A urologist will also perform a cystoscopy to identify urethral and bladder problems.
- Urine samples are collected to check for bacteria and other infections.
- Urodynamic testing is another method to diagnose and identify problems.
The kinds of surgery performed by Urologists:
Various surgeries can be performed by a urologist including Biopsies, kidney transplants, cystectomy, and Lithotripsy, amongst others. They are also qualified to do procedures to open blockages, prostatectomy, repair urinary organs, vasectomy in order to prevent pregnancies, uteroscopy etc.
When to see a Urologist?
You could visit a Urologist for several reasons described below:
- Urinary tract infection
- Blood in your urine
- Excruciating pain in the abdomen and lower back
- Trouble while urinating
- Decreased sexual desire for men
- Lumps in testicle
- Failure to have an erection for men
- Leakage of urine
These are some of the basic information you need to know about urology and a urologist.